Dear Murch Community,
It is because of the Murch community’s contributions to the HSA that we have had the funding available to help Murch meet so many unexpected and unprecedented needs since March 2020. This fall’s SOS (Support Our School) campaign is more important than ever. This year, because distance learning means that field trips, Murch Plus, and other activities the HSA normally funds will not occur, we have cut our HSA budget by 50%. For the 2020-2021 school year, we need to raise $78,000 to meet our SOS goal.
Our goal is for every Murch family to donate, at any level they feel comfortable. We are looking for 100% participation, because the SOS funds benefit all Murch students. If you are able to do so, a donation of $250 per student would get us well on the way to having the funds we need. Every donation is welcome!
Please make your gift online https://murchschool.org/hsa/
As you know, the HSA has always existed to support the school; enhance the education of our students; and create a strong community for the families, kids, and staff at Murch. This mission remains the same — in fact, it matters now more than ever before.
For this school year, the HSA has already:
- Purchased 30 technology devices and supplies to ensure that every Murch student has reliable access to a device for learning in this unprecedented school year;
- Delivered, through the classroom grant program, $9,500 worth of stipends for teachers to purchase supplies and materials to help deliver online content in as meaningful and effective a way as possible;
- Purchased subscriptions to online tools, such as ST Math, secured to support students’ learning, as well as professional development skill-building sessions for teachers, to help them deliver online learning effectively;
- Contracted with EastEd, to support Murch’s commitment to bring expertise in building equity and inclusion, provide programming for parents and teachers, and improve students’ educational success;
- Committed $1,600 of the HSA budget to support other schools within DCPS that are in need;
- Increased the scholarship fund this year to $3,000, to offset the cost of educational supplies and services for Murch families in need;
- Supported a partnership between Murch and Capitol Language Services (CLS) to provide tutoring services to Murch families that need additional educational support.
Nearly a third of the spending committed focuses on equity – EastEd, the scholarship fund, the partnership with CLS, and the HSA’s commitment to support other DCPS schools in need. The HSA’s goal is to make sure students and families needing the most support get it and that the quality of every student’s experience is lifted. As in past years, the HSA budget will support other ways and activities to enrich Murch’s students’ lives and educational experience.
We don’t know what the next few months will bring – including straightforward questions like when students will see each other in the classroom again. But the HSA is committed to helping Murch rise to every challenge, to help our students learn in as meaningful and as joyful a way as possible. Please make your gift online https://murchschool.org/hsa/
With our sincere appreciation,
Ashley Webb & Jen Stark, Murch HSA Co-Presidents
Chris Cebrzynski, Murch Principal
Dorina Bekoe, SOS Chair