What is the Murch Auction?
The Auction has been a long standing tradition of Murch Elementary school for decades. It is the largest fundraiser for the Home and School Association (HSA) which is a non-profit parent led organization created to help support the students, staff, and teachers of Murch Elementary School.
Through donations, sponsorship, the silent and live auction, and ticket sales, we are able to raise funds that benefit our children by paying for additional resources that aren’t covered enough in the DCPS budget including a range of items from additional books, afterschool programs, supplemental field trips, student programming and performances, extracurricular activities, science materials and more.
Here are some extra facts you may not know about the Auction:
- In addition to the silent and live auction, the Murch Auction is a big celebration of our wonderful school.
- Our auction catalog is not just made up of donations from local businesses. Our children contribute class creations for us to bid on, parents host fabulous and unique sign-up parties that you can sign up to attend.
- Murch teachers donate their time for fun outings with our kids, and Mr. C donates priceless experiences like “Principal for a Day” and sleepovers for the kids in the Murch gym. All of these items are found in a category called Murch Mustangs.
- The Auction items have price points to include something for everyone — from fabulous getaway vacation packages to local gift certificates to everything in between.
- Not available to attend the night of, or have out of town family who want to participate in the auction? No worries – with our mobile bidding you can join the fun remotely! You can make a cash donation online, bid remotely, purchase a teacher’s ticket or have your company sponsor the evening.
We hope this gives you a better idea of what to expect, how to participate, and why we host the annual auction. If you have any follow up questions – or want to get involved, please contact the auction chairs at firstname.lastname@example.org.
How can I help?
For starters - buy a ticket and attend. Go to murchauction24.givesmart.com.
There is also so much to do! We will need help on Friday May 3 and then again on Saturday May 4 to help set up, run the event and then pack down, and for clean up on Sunday from 10 a.m. to noon.
If you can volunteer at any of those times, please contact email@example.com.
What are the key dates?
- All donations in by March 31
- Online Auction goes live April 26 at midday
- Auction event starts 6pm May 4
How do I buy tickets?
You can buy tickets here: murchauction24.givesmart.com and click on “Tickets and Sponsorships”. If you have any problems at all filling in the form, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
What do I wear?
Bright colors and you can come as your favorite Barbie or ken!
How do I become a sponsor?
We have some amazing sponsorship packages. Go to murchauction24.givesmart.com and click on “Tickets and Sponsorships”. Then choose the sponsorship level that best suits your business If you have any problems at all filling in the form, contact email@example.com. Also, we can tailor a sponsorship level to you! Just ask and we can talk through how we can promote your organization to Murch families.
Is it an online Auction or a face to face Auction?
It is both! You can bid on Silent Auction items online from April 26 and you can bid on items face to face at the Auction event on May 4. To bid go to murchauction24.givesmart.com.
There will be a LIVE part of the Auction this year where you can bid on larger packages in person on May 4. Put your paddle up and bid!
How will the online Auction work?
The Murch Auction is high-tech, allowing bidding directly from your phone, computer and/or tablet! Use the online and mobile bidding system to:
- Set a starting bid as well as a maximum bid, which allows you to socialize all night without constantly looking at your phone.
- Create a watch list of items you want to keep an eye on throughout the evening.
- Receive text messages when you’ve been outbid so you can change your maximum bid.
- Find out in real time if you are a winner!
- Get an email receipt detailing your purchases at the end of the evening.
- Bid remotely if you can't attend, but we hope to see you there!
What will be Auctioned?
There are some incredible items - some cool trips, health & home items and fun summer camps! All will be revealed on April 26 online.
What are Murch Connections?
Murch Connections is a way to share your talents. Murch families can sign up to volunteer their time that matches your particular interests/abilities. This might be hosting a party, cocktail making, baking treats or a Fortnite lesson! Murch Connections will be bid on like any other auction item.
What are Sign up parties?
One of the best parts of the Auction is the sign-up parties! Your fellow Murch parents have generously offered to throw amazing parties and all you have to do is buy a ticket per person to attend. All ticket sales go directly to Murch, and you get to attend a great party.
If I can’t make it to the event, can I still bid on items?
Anyone who registers with an account on our Auction website can bid on items. That means even if you're not able to attend the event, you can still bid on items! Feel free to share the auction site with friends and family who may want to support our school.
How do I place a bid online?
When the Auction opens, you will see various options for each item:
- Bid: Click "Bid" to place a bid
- Watch: Click "Watch" to add this item to your "My Items" box to see how an item is doing. If you want an item, you will need to place an actual bid.
- Change bid amount or Set maximum bid: Manually enter any amount greater than the "next bid" or set a maximum bid of choice via auto bidding.
- Auto Bid: Select AUTO BID, enter the highest amount you are willing to bid. The system will place minimum bids for you as needed until your designated amount.
As you enter a winning bid or are outbid, you will receive a message alerting you of your status. At the close of the Auction, you will be notified if you are the winning bidder.
Please note all restrictions for auction items. Restrictions and expiration dates on all auction items are final. No changes or exceptions can be made.
Can't find an item? Use the search feature. Click on the microscope and type your item description like "kids camp" for example.
Is the site secure?
Yes! All information is securely encrypted and bidders will not be charged unless they win an item.
How do I pay for my winnings for the online Auction?
You'll need to use a credit card to register and keep on file. On the night of the Auction you will receive a text alerting you to pay for your items. If you do not check out at that time, you will be automatically checked out at the close of the Auction. We encourage you to select the option to pay for credit card fees so that Murch can save on those fees.
Charges from our auction site will show on your card as "Gartner."
How do I pay for my winnings for the face to face Auction at the event?
There will be a table at the Auction to allow you to pay using an EFTPOS machine. Come and talk to us about payment or email firstname.lastname@example.org in advance if you have any questions.
How do I receive my purchase after the Auction?
Physical items (like baskets, booze, and art) and your gift cards will need to be picked up the night of the Auction at the checkout table. Please email email@example.com to coordinate pick up if you can’t do that. Review your gift card receipt for more information about redemption.
What is the Whiskey Club?
Since 2014, the Murch Whiskey Club has offered tastings of some of the world’s finest whiskeys at the Murch Auction.
Become a "Member" and you too can drink endless, high quality, high proof, global Whiskey all night at the Whiskey Bar. If you want to taste them, you can only do so at Murch! You will also receive a free commemorative glass and get to meet the other members of the Whiskey Club!
You can also become a "Founder" by donating a bottle to this year's Whiskey Bar.
Contact our co-Presidents at firstname.lastname@example.org for the Whiskey Registry to choose which one you will donate!
Thank you so much to all the amazing sponsors and people that have donated to the Auction. All of the incredible donations will help us to raise money for our wonderful school. Thank you also to all the volunteers that have worked so hard to gather donations. You are all greatly appreciated.