- Executive Board Members present: Maggie Gumbinner (co-President), Martha McIntosh (co-President), Alicia Garfinkel (Teacher Representative), Chris Cebrzynski (Principal), Manolis Priniotakis (VP), Ron Eckstein (VP), JoAnna Graham (Treasurer), Sharon Bennett (Asst-Treasurer), Karissa Kovner (Past President), and Lisa Stone (Budget Committee Chair).Other Members in Attendance: Meredith Grindrod (incoming Teacher Representative) and Marisa Bold
- Approval of prior minutes – Joanna presented the draft minutes for the May 10, 2016 meetings and made a motion that the Board formally approve the minutes as the official record of the May meeting. Manolis seconded the motion. The motion was unanimously approved.
- Principal’s Report – Mr. Cebrzynski
- Mr. C. thanked Maggie and Martha for their service as HSA co-presidents
- Mr. C. reported that the staff is about 75% done packing up to move into UDC swing space
- Mr. C. said he is still working to develop procedures and processes for the swing space, like morning lineup procedure, a lunch schedule for the cafeteria, etc.
- Mr. C. said there are still a few staff positions to fill for next year, but hiring is in process
- Mr. C. informed the Board that Murch Administrative Staff will be staying on site during the summer and not moving to Wilson High School, since renovation of the existing Murch building will not begin until September or October.
- Presidents’ Report – Maggie Gumbinner and Martha McIntosh
- Martha reminded attendees that Tesoro Restaurant Night is Thursday. A portion of proceeds from both lunch and dinner will benefit Murch.
- Martha reported on the Murch Musical, The Jungle Book. She said the kids loved the experience and Adventure Theater wants to come back. Maggie pointed out that we hope to potentially do the play more in-house next year, especially since Murch will have a music teacher who can take more of a leadership role. Martha reported that gross revenue for the musical was $3,907, with $1,520 coming from on-site ticket sales, $1,200 from online ticket sales, $938 from pizza/drink sales and $250 from advertising sales.
Discussion of the value of Adventure Theater. Sound issues/production value problems. But overall the experience was better for kids in the play.
- Treasurer’s Report – JoAnna Graham
JoAnna Graham presented the monthly financial report.
Unclear who will do purchasing next year. Discussion ensued about having a dedicated position of Purchaser to replace Jill who had previously filled that role.Working to get all the financials in order for the end of the fiscal year.Asked for review of some line items.There are a handful of items still outstanding.
- Old Business. Martha: Peter Barry Fund is closed out.
- New Business
- Martha: Deal Microphones – Proposed authorization of spending for repair of Deal microphones. It has come to our attention that during the Murch musical in 2015, two microphones at Deal were broken. Maggie and Martha ask the board to approve off budget spending to repair or replace those microphones as necessary. The estimated cost could be up to $3,500. Maggie noted that they learned during the prior year’s production of the Lorax that elementary school kids should not use the headset microphones because they are very thin and fragile. Martha made a motion to use off budget spending of up to $3,000 to repair the microphones for Deal. The Board approved the expenditure unanimously.
- Maggie: Technology Spending – Proposed spending for technology replacement – As teachers and staff return their laptops, Elmos, and projectors this week, we will be inventorying those and determining if any replacements are needed based on their condition and the staffing needs for next year. Requests that the Board approve the expenditure of funds to replace any necessary equipment so that it can be ordered this summer and available for use at the start of the school year.
Martha and Maggie recommend authorizing money to be spent over the summer to fix or replace laptops, Elmos, and projectors in order to ensure that the staff has working equipment when school starts.
Joanna: Money is left in the set aside.
Martha: Board must vote to spend it.
Karissa: Voice amplification systems should be saved.
Mr. C: May not be usable in Swing Space.
Maggie made a motion that the Board approve the expenditure of up to $10,000 to replace, laptops, Elmos, etc. over the summer. The Board approved the motion unanimously by voice vote.
- Close Peter Barry Fund – Formal request to transfer remaining funds ($0.32) from the Peter Barry Fund line and close out the budget line. The Board approved the motion unanimously by voice vote.
- Martha: Document Retention Policy – We will send out a draft document retention policy this evening for the board’s consideration. The board can choose to vote on that tomorrow, or to defer consideration until the new board meets in the fall.
We will look at sample policies Board members had looked into over the year, and plan to vote on it next year.
- Martha: 5th grade promotion budget lines. Will establish a date final to submit receipts in the fall. For 2013-2014, money has been spent down.
Martha made a motion that the line item for 5th grade promotion from 2013-2014 be eliminated because money has been spent down. Manolis seconded the motion and the Board approved the motion unanimously by voice vote.
- Renovation update – HSA now leasing storage space on River Road. Most of our stuff in the basement has been moved to there. Still some play sets left in basement. Storage site will be well organized. Historic artifacts will be saved. Unclear where they will be stored. Bleachers? Will they be moved?Maggie adjourned the meeting at 7:55 PM.