First – what is 5th Grade Promotion?
In case you are new to Murch – there is a promotion ceremony every year to celebrate our fifth graders. They also get a class picnic, a clap-out, a party… The ceremony is usually held at the auditorium at Wilson High School – though while we are at UDC it will be in the UDC Theater of Arts. It is generally on a Monday night the second week in June around 6 or 6:30 pm.
What it is:
- The reception provides light refreshment after the graduation ceremony.
- The ceremony starts at 6:30 p.m. on Monday, June 12th.
- It is at Wilson High School in the lobby area outside the auditorium (entrance on Chesapeake).
- The ceremony is supposed to be one hour so you need to be ready for a crush of people by 7:30.
- Because this is the first year at UDC, you will need to speak to Rebecca McGraw in the Murch main office prior to planning (there are restrictions from UDC).
What You Need to Coordinate
- Again, touch base with Rebecca McGraw to find out what restrictions there are from UDC, and other logistics (where to hold the reception, getting 4 to 6 long tables and trash cans to set-up, etc.).
- You will need to enlist four or five adult helpers to procure refreshments and paper goods, set-up the reception and cleanup/takedown afterwards.
- It is a tradition for a handful of 4th graders to help. The kids are only marginal helpful as it is such a crush of people they have trouble maneuvering – so probably just 3-5 kids in total.
- If you want a more exact count – we could send out an email with a link to a simple form to count.
What to Expect
- A huge horde of folks will pour out when the ceremony is over and you will swear they haven’t eaten or drunk anything in days. Keep in mind the ceremony is over dinner time and most folks were too busy getting ready and getting there to eat!
- This is just a snack – not a meal. Most people will be heading out to dinner after.
- Have lots of cups pre-filled with lemonade and water and everything ready to be grabbed!
- Check with the 5th grade teachers or a member of the HSA to find out the budget amount. Make sure you find this out first!!!
- The budget for the reception the year of 2016-2017 is $500. This is it, so plan accordingly. You have the option of setting up a Sign-Up Genius to request donations of paper plates, napkins, beverages, chips, etc. as a large portion of the budget will be taken up by the cupcakes.
- Request for reimbursement must be submitted to the HSA through the form on the Murch website (https://murchschool.org/hsa-reimbursement-form/). Select “5th Grade Promotion” as the budget category and save receipts for items being reimbursed!!
What You Need to Provide
Here’s what has been provided the last few years. Note: there are generally about 110-125 fifth graders – multiply that by about 4 or 5 guests to get an idea of the count!
- Salty Snacks like potato chips, pretzels and other fun but not too healthy
- Cupcakes (see below for more info)
- Veggies if you feel motivated though they are not visited much
- Table clothes to cover tables (Murch colored is a plus)
- Plates, napkins and small cups (5 ounce Dixie-type cups)
- Bins/coolers for ice/drinks
A note about cupcakes
For the last three years we have used Lynnette’s Cakes and Catering for this. Not sure who found her first but her cupcakes are cute and delicious. Her current (2017) pricing is $1/mini-cupcake (this is a break from the regular price of $1.50) and she will deliver them. Cupcakes should be ordered at least two weeks in advance. Last year we ordered 450 cupcakes. She is very easy to work with and prompt. Here’s her information if you choose to use her.
Lynnettes’ Cakes and Catering
PO Box 1622
Annandale, VA 22003
Here’s a note from last year – 2017
UDC does not allow any foods with frosting on them. We decided to go with mini brownies that are offered by Lynette’s catering (.90 cents/piece). The refreshment tables should be set up for us by UDC – Rebecca is waiting to receive confirmation.