Get Ready for the Murch Talent Show!
Before you head into the Winter Break, it's time to start planning your Talent Show act! Singers, dancers, instrument players and other specialty acts are welcome (no lip sync acts though -- save those for the separate Lip Sync Show run by Ms. Lauren Miller later in the year). Anyone from pre-K to 5th grade can participate. Soloists, groups, clubs and classes can perform. Tryouts take place the first week we return from winter break.
Tryouts: Wednesday, 1/3 and Thursday, 1/4, 3:30pm, in the bubble (You need only try out on one of the days.)
Rehearsal: Wed. 1/10, from 3:30 - 6:30pm, UDC Theater of the Arts
Dress Rehearsal: Wed. 1/24, from 3:30 - 6:30pm, UDC Theater of the Arts
Show: Fri. 1/26 6:00-8:00pm, UDC Theater of the Arts
Planning Ahead: Now is the time to organize playdates to figure out your act. It's never too early to send your karaoke tracks. If we have them before tryouts it will speed things up! Look for the online signup & FAQ for tryouts soon.
Parent volunteers needed -- contact Marsha Goodman-Wood if you can help!
Please note that all donations from ticket sales and proceeds from refreshment sales go to support arts and other important programs at Murch! We need and appreciate your generosity and support for our kids!!
Want to be in the Murch Talent Show?
The Murch Talent Show is a beloved tradition that we are excited to be able to continue in our temporary home at UDC! It is open to all grades, and students can choose to perform as a solo act or with a group of friends. Our performance-based clubs usually participate, including the Murch Guitar Club and the Hip-Hop Club. Traditionally the show has included singers, dancers, instrumentalists, and a variety of specialty acts that vary from year to year, such as rock bands, hula hoopers, balloon twisting, magic, and more.
The entire Murch Community is encouraged to attend the show and invite friends, family, alumni and neighbors! There will be a pizza sale prior to the show and all proceeds from refreshments and ticket sales will support future arts programs and performances at Murch.
If your child is interested in participating, discuss their plans with them so they can be ready to try out just after we return from Winter Break!
|Wednesday, January 4th and Thursday, January 5th at the Murch Bubble, starting at 3:30pm
|Wednesday, January 11th at the Murch Bubble, starting at 3:30pm
|Wednesday, January 25th, starting at 3:30pm at the UDC Theatre of the Arts
|Friday, January 27th, 6:00pm at the UDC Theatre of the Arts
- Notify your child’s teacher when your child will try out and when they will attend rehearsals so students can be sent to the right place. Arrange a later pickup and look for logistics details about pickup.
- Fill out the Google Form with participant info, parent contact info and permission to participate.
Helpful Tips and Information
- NO LIP SYNC acts allowed! There will be a separate show in March that is entirely lip sync acts. Dance acts have choreographed/planned dancing, not acting out of a song (save those acts for the Lip Sync show).
- Singers may use live instrument accompaniment or a karaoke track. We can help to arrange instrumental accompaniment (e.g.,piano, guitar) or welcome accompaniment by family members (parents, siblings, etc.). Most karaoke tracks can be found online. Parents are responsible for locating and sending karaoke tracks. Students can try out singing a capella
or singing along to a track with vocals if they wish.
- Instrumentalists may use sheet music. Singers may use lyrics sheets. Please locate and print these out for your child; we will not be able to provide these for you. Remember to bring your instrument (and sheet music/lyric sheets) to try out and rehearse. We will provide a music stand & microphones/mic stands.
- Review song lyrics for your child's act and make sure they are age appropriate. If you have doubts or questions, let us know. If your child has picked a popular song, they should have a backup choice in mind in case others have the same idea. Songs can only be performed once in the show.
- Attendance is mandatory at tryouts, rehearsals, and especially the Dress Rehearsal. The best way for your child to have a great experience on stage is to be fully prepared. Even kids who enjoy being on stage get nervous and can be thrown off due to a costume, microphone, etc. You must manage any conflicts due to other activities so your child can try out and rehearse. NOTE: A dress rehearsal is a final rehearsal with sound, lights, and any costumes and/or props.
- Tryouts & rehearsals tend to run late; please plan for this. Pack an after school snack for your child. Kids can do homework while they are waiting their turn or waiting for pickup.
- Practice, practice, practice! Students are responsible for practicing on their own or with their group and rehearsing with accompanists. Students using karaoke tracks need to practice with the karaoke tracks as much and as soon as possible.
- Rehearsals could get cancelled due to weather this time of year. Look for email updates if storms or snow are expected.
For further questions, email Marsha Goodman-Wood