Want to be in the Murch Talent Show?
The Murch Talent Show is a beloved tradition! It is open to all grades, and students can choose to perform as a solo act or with a group of friends. Traditionally the show has included singers, dancers, instrumentalists, performance-based clubs (such as the Guitar Club), and a variety of specialty acts that vary from year to year, such as rock bands, hula hoopers, balloon twisting, magic, and more. (No lip sync acts allowed. Save them for the Lip Sync Show later in the year.)
- Tryouts: Monday, 1/7 and Friday, 1/11, 3:30pm, in the gym (only one tryout required)
- Rehearsal: Friday, 1/25, 3:30 – 6:00ish, in the gym
- Dress Rehearsal: Tuesday. 2/5, 3:30 – 6:00ish, in the gym
- Show: Thursday, 2/7 6:00 – 8:00pm, in the gym
- Snow date: Friday, 2/8 (same time/location)
Parent volunteers needed! Please contact Marsha Goodman-Wood if you can help!
- Ask your child if they plan to be in the Talent Show and find out their act choice!
- Locate their music tracks online, such as a karaoke track or a specific version of a song; look up composer info for instrumental acts, etc.
- Fill out online form below (mandatory for participation).
- Help organize rehearsals for group acts; help with song choice or other choices; look up choreography on YouTube they can use to practice if applicable, encourage them to practice (for all acts).
- Notify your child's teacher of the different pickup plan on tryout and rehearsal days.
- Remember to organize a later pickup and be aware that you may have to wait when you arrive to pickup your child. If you'll be picking up on the later side, your child may stay and watch others or do homework while they wait for pickup. They will not be allowed to go out to the playground without adult supervision, so please plan accordingly.
- Scroll down to the bottom of this page to read the Important Information section below.
The entire Murch Community is encouraged to attend the show and invite friends, family, alumni and neighbors! There will be a pizza sale prior to the show.
Please note that all ticket sale donations and proceeds from refreshment sales go to support arts and other important programs at Murch! We need and appreciate your generosity and support for our kids!!
- NO LIP SYNC acts allowed! There will be a separate show later in the year that is entirely lip sync acts. Dance acts have choreographed/planned dancing, not acting out of a song (save those acts for the Lip Sync show).
- Attendance is mandatory at tryouts, rehearsals, and especially the Dress Rehearsal. The best way for your child to have a great experience on stage is to be fully prepared. Even kids who enjoy being on stage get nervous and can be thrown off due to a costume, microphone, etc. You must manage any conflicts due to other activities so your child can try out and rehearse. NOTE: A dress rehearsal is a final rehearsal with sound, lights, and any costumes and/or props.
- Tryouts & rehearsals tend to run late; please plan for this. Pack an after school snack for your child. Kids can do homework while they are waiting their turn or waiting for pickup.
- Singers may use live instrument accompaniment or a karaoke track. We can help to arrange instrumental accompaniment (e.g.,piano, guitar) or welcome accompaniment by family members (parents, siblings, etc.). Most karaoke tracks can be found online. Parents are responsible for locating and sending karaoke tracks. Students can try out singing a capella or singing along to a track with vocals if they wish.
- Instrumentalists may use sheet music. Singers may use lyrics sheets. Please locate and print these out for your child; we will not be able to provide these for you. Remember to bring your instrument (and sheet music/lyric sheets) to try out and rehearse. We will provide a music stand & microphones/mic stands.
- Review song lyrics for your child's act and make sure they are age appropriate. If you have doubts or questions, let us know. If your child has picked a popular song, they should have a backup choice in mind in case others have the same idea. Songs can only be performed once in the show.
- Practice, practice, practice! Students are responsible for practicing on their own or with their group and rehearsing with accompanists. Students using karaoke tracks need to practice with the karaoke tracks as much and as soon as possible.
- Rehearsals could get cancelled due to weather this time of year. Look for email updates if storms or snow are expected.
For further questions, please email, Marsha Goodman-Wood