HSA Co-President Ashley Webb called the meeting to order at 7:05 pm on November 6, 2019 in Room B112 of Murch Elementary School.
- Executive Board Members present: Ashley Webb (Co-President), Julie Lobb (Co-President), Amy Turner (Vice President), Jason Veny (Secretary), Maurice Werner (Treasurer), Chris Cebrzynski (Principal), Wendy Cresswell (Teacher Representative), Robin Goracke (Budget/LSAT) Elisa O’Keefe (Past President), Courtney Woolridge (Community Engagement)
Other Members in Attendance: Nick Williams (parent).
- Approval of prior minutes – Jason Veny
Jason noted that the minutes for the October 1, 2019 meeting were posted to BaseCamp for review on October 5 and sought the Board’s approval of the minutes.
Jason made a motion that the Board ratify the previously posted minutes for the October 1 meeting as the official record of those meetings. Elisa seconded the motion, there was no objection, and the motion passed by unanimous vote.
- President’s Report – Ashley Webb
- SOS Update. Julie Lobb reported that SOS has $72,970 pledged so far this year. The goal is to have $120,000. Currently 130 families have contributed. Julie noted that there was an issue with the October online payments and 26 people may have to resubmit payment plans.
- Holiday gift-giving. Donations to resource teachers/custodians/aides will be done through PayPal
- Presentations Committee– Ashley reported that there was a Hispanic Hertiage celebration featuring a Latin American duo. Murch will be a native American storyteller on Monday, November 25th.
Starting in November there will be forums for parents on inclusivity (November, February and May).
Robin reported that the at the LSAT meeting in June, Mr. C talked about inclusivity at Murch. Murch wants to work on community building—working with teachers on inclusivity on unconscious bias and making sure the school a welcoming place. The forums will be held on November 20, February 11, and May 6.
The first topic is “What does a successful community look like?”
Josh Mintz will be a guest speaker at the next HSA meeting to discuss good governance.
- Auction: One position filled so far – Events Logistics Lead; we are still looking for Fundraising Lead and Communications Lead. Julie stated they are looking for a team of people for solicitations role. Julie will look into time sensitive action items and report back to the Board.
- Principals Report
Mr. C reported that the school is now fully staffed. Murch hired the last teacher, Debra Gomez as the inclusion teacher to work with special education students. She previously taught in a DC charter school and received glowing recommendations.
The STEM fair will be earlier this year—before the February break.
AMC math contest will be held a week from tomorrow. It is open to any students in grades 2-5. The test given to students to see how proficient students are in math concepts.
LSAT is partnering with HSA to expand the conversation that teachers at Murch have been having about being an inclusive community. On Wednesday, November 20th there will be a conversation about inclusion at Murch. The workshop will be led by Murch parents and will focus on inclusion and its relevance in the context of academic and social-emotional development. Teachers at Murch are doing professional development in this area as well.
- Treasurer’s Report – Maurice Werner
- Review of Financials. Maurice reported that the balance sheet was similar to last year this time, about $193,000. This year has about $132,000 in cash $61,000 in CDs. The credit card liability is down.
The income statement is about level – budgeted $87,000 and earned about $90,000. The Fall Fair brought in $20,500 against a budget of $17,000.
Maurice reported that we are doing well with rebates, Amazon Smile updates and fundraising at $3400.
Note: The budget for Community Events is $5,000 and we are already at $4,700. Overages would need Board approval.
The budget for Electronic Learning was $18,000 and we have spent $19,507.93, overbudget by $1507.93. Overage needs to be approved.
Maurice Lerner moved to approve the overage of $1507.93 and Jason Veny seconded the motion. The motion was unanimously approved.
The budget for Concessions was $2,500 and we spent $3469.68 (primarily in ordering a lot of tee shirts), overbudget by $969.68. Overage needs to be approved.
Maurice Lerner moved to approve the overage of $969.68 and Ashley Webb seconded the motion. The motion was unanimously approved.
The budget for the Performing and Visual Arts Expense was $10,000 and we have spent $13,332.27, overbudget by $3332.27. Overage needs to be approved.
Amy Turner moved to approve the overage of $3332.27 and Jason Veny seconded the motion. The motion was unanimously approved.
The budget for Teacher grants was $15,000 and we have spent at $16,333, overbudget by $1633. Mr. C said that the $1633 would come from Murch.
- Fundraising/Community Engagement Update – Courtney Woolridge
Courtney reported that Murch day at Child’s Play is confirmed for Tuesday, November 26 from 7pm to 9pm. There will be a table in the back with drinks and snacks.
Courtney suggested doing an angel tree within the community. She will follow up with Lauren Miller and the Social Worker about doing it.
Dates to remember:
The Talent Show will be April 3; the STEM fair will be on February 3; and Lip Sync will be on March 5.
The April HSA meeting will be on April 7.
- New Business
Meghan Jones – Wendy Cresswell reported that Meghan Jones, had been working in an SLS classroom without a teacher trained to teach students with special needs. Ms. Cresswell provided a request by some faculty and staff to provide additional funds for the additional work that Ms. Jones performed.
The Board discussed the request.
Amy Turner moved to give Meghan Jones with a thank you card and a gift card in the amount $150. The motion unanimously carried.
Next HSA Tuesday, December3, 2019.
Ashley adjourned the meeting at 8:22PM.