4th and 5th Graders: Learn to Build a Website
One of the most basic skills of any programmer is the ability to be able to create a website. Every programmer should know the skills of HTML, CSS and scripting tools. And finally – even if you know how to code a website – do you know how to create the actual site? We’ll cover domain names, web hosting, and FTPing files so that you are ready to create a real website of your own.
In this winter session we’ll be covering the following topics:
- Learning how to create websites using HTML (Hyper Text Markup Language)
- Learning how to style websites by using CSS (Cascading Style Sheets)
5th Graders: Python
What, When, Where?
- Mondays– Python is from 3:30-4:15 pm and Learn to Build a Website is from 4:15 – 5:00 pm
- Murch Media Center
- Class will run from Monday, January 11th through Monday, March 7th. No classes on Jan 18, Feb 15 or Feb 22.
- Class will be led by Elizabeth Mettler.
- Please note that this class will be an application class not a standard lottery. All students will be notified via email if they are in the class.
- The class fee will be $30 which is due upon the first day of class.
Requirements for this class:
- 4th or 5th grade student
- Teacher recommendation
- Access to a computer at home with the ability to install a free recommended FTP client and Web Editor or permission to use the Media Center. There will be 1-3 hours of homework per week.
- A commitment from each student to come to class to learn, to listen, and to work with others. Any student who can not do so on a repeated basis, will be asked to leave the class.