Important: Please read this document carefully as some important details have changed this year.
Here are some important dates and details for the Talent Show:
- Info Session - Wednesday, Dec. 9 at 3:30 in the World Geography classroom
- Tryouts - Thursday, January 7 at 3:30 pm in the gym
- Rehearsal - Friday, January 22 at 12:30 in the gym
- Dress Rehearsal - Thursday, February 4 at 3:30 in the gym
- Performance - Friday, February 5 at 6:00 pm in the gym
Attendance at Tryouts and Rehearsals: Due to the heavy use of the gym in the winter for indoor activities, we will have very limited use of the gym & stage for tryouts and rehearsals. Therefore it is very important for everyone involved to be at the tryouts and rehearsals.
Tryouts: Thursday, January 7 at 3:30 pm in the gym
Because of the basketball game schedule, we have only one day for tryouts. Therefore, you must RSVP in advance to reserve a spot. Those who have reserved a spot will have first priority at tryouts. You may tryout without an advance RSVP, but drop-ins will go after those who RSVP’d if time allows. Those who have already signed up at the info meeting, or who emailed in advance are considered to have RSVP’d, but see below to make sure you have provided all the requested info & read on regarding music. We will continue to take RSVPs via email to Brendan Canty.
Tryout RSVPs must include:
- Student’s name, grade, teacher
- Type of act
- Song title & artist/composer (if applicable); backup song choice
- Names of group members if a multiperson act
- Any special information (tech needs, etc.)
- Names of any other adults, such as a spouse, nanny/babysitter who will be responsible for pickups/dropoffs or helping your student. Please cc them on your email so we have accurate contact info.
Other Important Tryout Info:
- Send your music files before tryouts to Brendan ( email@example.com). We always lose time at tryouts trying to help kids find their songs online or trying to play CDs that have been scratched in kids’ backpacks. We have limited internet access in the Murch gym and your child will be disappointed if they cannot sing their song as intended. Please help us to be as efficient as possible with our limited time. This applies both to singers who wish to use a track to sing along with and dancers.
- Remember there are NO LIP SYNC acts allowed!There will be a separate show in March that is entirely lip sync acts. Dance acts should be true dancing. If you are not sure, it’s probably a lip sync act. Help your child plan their act so they are not disappointed, or encourage them to participate in the lip sync show instead.
- Singers may use live instrument accompaniment or a karaoke track. If your child is not ready to try out with the accompanist or the karaoke track, you may also send the track with vocals or they may sing a capella. However, students should practice with the karaoke track as much and as soon as possible. We can help to arrange instrumental accompaniment (piano, guitar, etc.), too, but you are responsible for practicing on your own.
- Singers may use lyrics sheets. Instrumentalists may use sheet music. Help print these out for your child; we will not be able to provide these at tryouts. Don’t forget your music (or instrument) at home.
- Review song lyrics for your child’s act and make sure it is age appropriate. If you have doubts or questions, let us know.
- If you’re choosing a popular song, have a backup choice in mind. Songs will only be performed once in the show.
Rehearsal : Friday, January 22 at 12:30 in the gym
Dress Rehearsal: Thursday, February 4 at 3:30 in the gym
- Friday, January 22 is a half day of school. We plan to hold just one, longer rehearsal on that half day, beginning at 12:30. Attendance is mandatory.
- There will be a dress rehearsal the day before the show, leaving
little time for adjustments. Attendance is mandatory, and we must
have full attendance in order to finalize our show.
- Why must your child attend rehearsals? We want everyone to have a great
experience on stage. The best way to do that is to be fully prepared. Even
kids who enjoy being on stage get nervous and can be thrown off by
surprises due to a costume, microphone, etc. You must help your child
manage other activities that may conflict. Please help them prepare so
they can have a great experience on stage!
- It will be particularly difficult to accommodate special requests to leave
early/arrive late for rehearsals, dress rehearsal or show. If there is some
extenuating circumstance or a health emergency, you must contact Brendan. We cannot guarantee that we will be able to accommodate all requests, even if made in advance.
Winter Cancellations & Practice at Home
It is possible that our rehearsals could get canceled due to weather or a rescheduled basketball game. In that case, we may not be able to reschedule. As a result, everyone absolutely must be responsible for practicing at home. Parents need to be sure to read all email updates and notices & keep kids on track.
Summary of Parent Responsibilities
- Send a good email contact address for your family. Submit your
tryout RSVP right away.
- Submit music tracks ASAP. We want your child to have a good experience rather than a stressful & frustrating experience at their tryout and at rehearsals, so please do not let this detail slide!
- Tryouts & rehearsals tend to run late; please plan for this. Remember to pack an extra snack, send materials so children can do homework while waiting, and allow for late pickups (keeping in mind that the front doors are closed at 4:30, even if our tryouts go later).
- Permission Slips must be on file for all participants. We will have these available online prior to tryouts online. If you can not find it, please email Brendan.
- Volunteer. We depend on additional parent volunteers to organize and run the pizza sale the night of the show, to help maintain order at tryouts and rehearsals, and to assist our custodial staff to setup and break down the room the night of the show. We do need you, so please let us know which jobs you are available to do. Thank you in advance for reading all notices staying informed!