- Executive Board Members present: Martha McIntosh (co-President), Maggie Gumbinner (co-President), Karissa Kovner (Past president), Lisa Stone (Budget and Planning), Joanna Graham (Treasurer), Patty See (Communications), Melissa McInerney (Personnel), Sharon Bennett (Asst. Treasurer), Ron Eckstein (Vice President), Alicia Garfinkel (Teacher representative), and Manolis Priniotakis (Vice President)Other Members in Attendance: Emily Kallaur, Adam Riggs, Carrie Kolasky, John See, Virginia Marentette, Kathryn McCarthy, Joanna Brown, Karen Abrams, Selena Fox, Bill McIntosh, Kelly Lynch, Michelle Cochran, Kirsten Hawkins, Frances Wu, Pam Gallant, Maura Healy, Sue Guzman, Aaron Hanna, Ada Leach, Jennifer Jackson Lee, and Marisa Bold
- Presidents’ Report – Maggie Gumbinner and Martha McIntoshMaggie and Martha introduced David Dickinson, the new commissioner for ANC 3F01, which covers UDC. He provided brief remarks on the advisory role of the ANC and that it touches little on schools, other than zoning aspects. He relayed that he was familiar with the budget issues related to renovations, having served on the LSAT and PTA at Hearst through its overhaul. He was happy to share experiences. He reported that he has been trying to engage UDC on next school year. He noted that he had been asked to provide a letter of support to DGS for the UDC swing space. He mentioned that partnering with Hearst possible on such things as the Fall Fair. He also said that the ANC is anxious to get the Murch design finalized.
- Budget Report — Lisa Stone
Lisa Stone presented the proposed 2016-2017 Budget. She noted that it had grown a little each year in recent years but there was small shrinkage budgeted for next year due to a slight decline in enrollment expected. In addition, she noted that there are separate swing space funds that are non-recurring to be spent over the next two years. Budgeted amounts are expected to be recurring.She said that, as always, most revenue comes from the SOS and auction. Expenditures fall into four primary categories: fundraising, educational support, environment and enrichment activities, and operations and other expenses. The biggest expense is the classroom aides. Major expenditures include: HSA personnel; grants; stipends; after school programs; responsive classroom; and bookkeeping. New budget lines include: school planners; go-bag resupply; and school musical costs, which are intended to be revenue neutral.
She reported the major changes for this year include:
• Reduced after school programs due to an anticipated outside provider.
• Reduced teacher grants because of swing space funding.
• No funding for building and grounds due to occupation of the swing space.
• Nothing for World Geography, as it has been dropped as a Special.Maggie noted that the budget was hard because of the many unknowns for the coming years.
Virginia Marentette said the prospect for raising $12,000 for the musical looks difficult.
• Lisa suggested that it was possible, as last year’s musical raised $5,000 with minimal effort.
• Lisa addressed the end of the Peter Barry Fund. It paid for many activities over the years. The last musical it fully funded was in 2009 but the last of the fund was spent with this year’s musical.
Lisa described the Off-Budget Funds for swing space costs. Two sources of funds for such costs are:
• Auction Paddles Up
• Renovation Set-Aside. Spending of the renovation set-aside requires board approval.
She has set up a preliminary budget for next year’s board’s consideration for the following categories of items:
• Classroom needs
• Packing and storage
• Teacher/Staff Morale
• Student Morale
• Community building
Lisa Stone moved to pass the budget. Joanna Graham seconded the motion. The budget passed with the unanimous consent with a quorum of the membership present.
- Election of 2016-2017 HSA Officers.
Nominating Committee Chair Karissa Kovner introduced the nominees to be officers of executive board for 2016-2017.
Sue Guzman, President
Joanna Brown, First Vice President
Ron Eckstein, Second Vice President
Selena Fox, Treasurer
Sharon Bennett, Assistant Treasurer
Maura Healy, Assistant Treasurer
Brendan Holland, Secretary
Maggie Gumbinner, Past President
Chris Czebrzynski, PrincipalKarissa Kovner moved to approve the HSA slate. Martha McIntosh seconded the motion. The motion passed with Unanimous Consent with a quorum of the membership present.Karissa introduced the nominees for LSAT.
Karissa Kovner moved to approve the LSAT slate. Patty See seconded the motion. The motion passed with Unanimous Consent with a quorum of the membership present.
Karissa introduced the nominees for the Nominating Committee.
Sarah Benatar (chair)
Karissa Kovner moved to approve the HSA slate. Martha McIntosh seconded the motion. The motion passed with Unanimous Consent with a quorum of the membership present.
- Old Business. No Old Business.
- New Business
Martha reported that she, Laura Kaiser, and Martha would be meeting with the Mayor on the following Thursday but did not yet know what the meeting was about.The board thanked Alicia Garfinkel for her two years as the teacher representative on the Board. The teachers would be selecting a new board representative for next year.There was a brief discussion of lingering budget questions, such as the process for selecting and hiring aides, how off-budget spending is decided, and the status of reserve funds.
Maggie adjourned the meeting at 8:05 PM.