In February 2016, DCPS and DGS presented two proposed scenarios for altering the design. The primary impacts of proposed design changes would be:
- Move the cafeteria to the current gym space, which reduces the cafeteria size from 3715 sq. ft. to 2722 sq. ft.
- Build the kitchen to the side of the current gym space, which would eliminate delivery access to the kitchen. (DCPS and DGS previously told the SIT that delivery access to the kitchen was a design requirement.)
- Move the library/media center to the early childhood wing, which reduces the library size from total of 4749 sq. ft. to 1558-3445 sq. ft. The actual size of the library/media center would depend on whether the design includes bathrooms and spaces for ELL, Special Education, or other small group work which were part of the basic requirements outlined by DCPS.
- Eliminate the separate dining and gathering space planned for PK and K.
- Eliminate a separate cafeteria and create a mixed gym/auditorium/cafeteria of the same basic size as the previously planned gym/auditorium. The likely outcome may be that the space is not usable as a cafeteria and students would continue to eat in their classrooms.
- Reduce the size of the library/media center from 3715 sq. ft. to 3065 sq. ft.
- Increase the size of the building addition and decrease the size of the playground.
- Replace the separate PK/K play area and rooftop science garden (planned at the corner of Davenport and 36th Streets) with surface parking.
- Incorporate the PK/K play area into the already reduced main playground space.
- Move the delivery and loading dock access to Reno Road (from 36th Street).
- Widen the curb cut on Reno Road and increase vehicular traffic across a sidewalk that would be a primary route onto the playground for school drop off and pickup.
- Reduce parking planned for under the gym by 50% (to be supplemented with surface parking at corner of Davenport and 36th Streets). It was proposed that parking under the gym could be underground or possibly at grade, with the gym raised approximately 8 feet.